[R] Save & reload list objects

robgriffin247 rg.rforum at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 14:50:40 CEST 2012

So it was simple, or so it seemed.
Now to throw a spanner in the works!

I got this error when testing it on my more powerful desktop (using one of
my lists put in to a new object) :

#put list in to new object called "temp"
temp<-rg.lmer
#save
save(temp,file="C:\\Users\\...\\R & Data\\rg.lmer.txt")
#remove temp list from workspace to test load
rm(temp)
#load list in to a new object, again called temp.
temp<-load("C:\\Users\\...\\R & Data\\rg.lmer.txt")

> temp<-load("C:\\Users\\...\\R & Data\\rg.lmer.txt")
Error: cannot allocate vector of size 98 Kb
In addition: Warning messages:
1: Reached total allocation of 8148Mb: see help(memory.size)
2: Reached total allocation of 8148Mb: see help(memory.size)

The save process takes a very long time but works so I wonder if there is a
quicker way to get the same result.

The load takes a long time to throw out this error message. Again I hope
there is a more efficient way to do it because it defeats the point of
saving it in the first place if it takes as long as running the original
script to make the list! Also it means I haven't been able to check if the
load works and will produce the desired list.

around this error message?*
Rob