[R] Writing Faroes lettsers in text and plot ?

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at wlandres.net
Sat Aug 4 16:43:02 CEST 2012

Klaus: John Kane is right to point out that the procedure will
depend on your OS. It will also depend on what interface you use
for entering text into R.

All the letters you need for Faroese are present in the basic
iso-8859-1 Western European character set (also known as ISO-Latin1)
which should be available on just about any current operating system.
It is how you access the non-US/English alphabetical characters
which will depend on OS and interface.

In some cases (especially in Windows) there will be a drop-down
menu of available characters in which you point-and-click to
enter the character you want. Or your OS may allow you to set up
your keyboard configuration so that certain key-combinations give
special characters. Or you may use an editor program which itself
can have a special key setup.

The mail program in which I am typing this reply uses iso-8859-1
and has its own keyboard setup involving a system of "digraphs".
Each digraph is initiated by pressing Control-D ([^D]), followed
by a sequence of two letters, so that [^D]AE gives Æ, for instance.

Thus, in addition to the usual A-Z, a-z:

[^D]A': Á    [^D]D-: Ð    [^D]I': Í    [^D]O': Ó
[^D]U': Ú    [^D]Y': Ý    [^D]AE: Æ    [^D]O/: Ø

with the corresponding digraphs for lower-case letters, such as
[^D]ae: æ etc.

I believe that may be enough for Faroese; however, if needed other
Nordic letters are available in iso-8859-1, such as þ ([^D]th),
Þ ([^D]TH), Ö ([^D]O"], ö ([^D]o"0, etc.

When using R (in Linux), as program editor I usually use vim, which
operates a similar digraph system (but with Control-K ([^K]) instead
of [^D]). One way of entering such characters directly into R is to
first enter them into a vim console window, and then (with mouse)
copy and paste into the R command line. However, the R command-line
window can have its own configuration as well. The choice is up to
you, in the context of your OS and resources.

It will probably be possible to give you direct and specific advice,
if you let us know what your system set-up is, and how you access R.

Hoping this helps,
Ted.