[R] parallel SNOW slower than single core?

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 20:54:18 CEST 2012

I'm not surprised -- you're doing a fairly trivial calculation so the
overhead of setting up the parallelization is likely more than the
benefit from halving the computation time. Do it on a larger
calculation and I imagine the performance will be better -- I might
just be pulling this out of thin air, but I think I remember reading
slides from Luke Tierney saying one had to be adding vectors of size
>= 30k or so for parallelization to have a meaningful benefit.
Obviously sizes will be lower for operations more expensive than
addition.

Michael