[R] How to link two R packages together

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 07:35:15 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Bert Gunter <gunter.berton at gene.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Michael Weylandt
> <michael.weylandt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Isn't this what package dependencies are for?
>
> No. It's what package imports are for (preferably).
> As always, the OP should RTFM -- in this case the one to which you
> refer on the next line, especially the NAMESPACES section.

But note that the original question included, "when I load one package
using 'library("PKG1")', PKG2 can be loaded at the same." which
imports does not exactly do. They become available to the package, but
not to the user, so if you really need both packages loaded to the
search path, then you need a dependency, not imports.

Cheers,

Josh