[R] R2 in multilevel modelling

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Apr 30 17:08:28 CEST 2012

As you have not provided a clue of what your models are, one can only guess. But if you mean using lots of fixed effects vs a random effect, the answer is that there is no such animal.  They are two different non-nested models, and should be chosen based on subject matter considerations. Standard practice is to compare AIC, BIC and other "information criteria" but there is no clear standard to determine how large a difference is meaningful.

You may wish to post this on R-SIG-MIXED-MODELS for other inputs.

Bert

Sent from my iPhone -- please excuse typos.