[R] Character string to R object

John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Sat Apr 28 16:27:14 CEST 2012

I've been creating some R tools that manipulate objective functions for optimization. In
so doing, I create a character string with R code, and then want to have it in my
workspace. Currently -- and this works fine -- I write the code out, then use source() to
bring it in again. Example:

cstr<-"jack<-function(x){\n cat(\"Silly x:\")\n print(x) \n  }\n"
write(cstr, file='tfile.txt')
jack<-source('tfile.txt')$value # You need the value element!
print(jack)

However, I feel it would be more elegant if I could avoid the file, and am sure I must
have missed some way to pipe the cstr through the source() function. Also, if the file
cannot be written (directory permissions?), then my approach won't work.

JN