[R] check if excel file is

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 18:30:42 CEST 2012

On 27/04/2012 12:08 PM, Ben quant wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I'd like to determine if an Excel file is open or writable. Can anyone help
> me with that?
Try to write to it.  If you fail, it wasn't writable.  (You can wrap
your attempt in try() so that it doesn't abort your program.)

If you're not ready to write to it, then open it as a connection in
write mode.  I think that will also fail if it's not writable.  You have
to keep it open until you're finished writing; otherwise some other
process could grab it after your test but before you write.

Duncan Murdoch