[R] PLM package PGGLS strange behavior

Millo Giovanni Giovanni_Millo at Generali.com
Fri Apr 27 16:08:05 CEST 2012

Hello. No "strange behaviour" here, just a warning.

There is a difference between an "error" and a "warning", and between an
argument and a model. In this specific case, the warning is just there
to remind you that, as stated, 'the "random" **argument** has been
renamed to "pooling" ' (emphasis mine).

Both still work, but the former is deprecated. The estimator you get is
the same (a GGLS, or "Parks estimator"), everything works the way it
should and you can trust the numbers that come out, provided the
specification is clear to you and it is what you wanted (which for
instance is not entirely clear from your email).

The model underlying the General Feasible GLS estimator (GGLS) does not
really have "random effects"; therefore, after having initially named
the model without FEs "random" by contrast to the Fixed Effects GLS a la
Kiefer (1980), we later considered the denomination as inappropriate and
changed it to "pooling" which in effect it is: a pooled model with no
proper individual effects but a general error covariance structure. You
can get a better understanding of the specification if you read the
cited reference carefully (or even better, Wooldridge as referenced
therein).

Lastly, it is not clear what you mean by "the right estimates": the
numbers I get by using either 'model="pooling"' or ' model="random"' on
the given example are exactly those in the JSS paper. If on your system
you get anything else, I'll be grateful for a reproducible report, as
asked for in the posting guide.

PS if by chance you are just mistaking "General Feasible GLS" with
"Random Effects by GLS", then you should use 'plm(yourformula, yourdata,
model="random")' instead, and you'll get the standard RE model.

Best wishes,
Giovanni

Giovanni Millo, PhD
Research Dept.,