[R] Sweave: Avoiding recompilation of figures

Rainer Schuermann rainer.schuermann at gmx.net
Thu Apr 26 17:52:41 CEST 2012

The easiest way probably is to put the code that takes so long to execute, in a separate file, such as "graph1.Rnw", and get it into your master file via
SweaveInput( "graph1.Rnw" ).
Once you are happy with your graph1, you can comment this line out and only compile the stuff that keeps changing.

Of course, there are more general methods available:

Check out
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/cacheSweave/

Another way around re-compiling would be using make
http://cgibbons.berkeley.edu/Research/Papers/MakefileTutorial.pdf

As a modern replacement for Sweave
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/knitr/index.html
seems to be the thing to watch.

Personally, I'm still putting up with some waiting time, rather than moving up the learning curve, but I'm sure one of these three will meet your requirement.

Rgds,
Rainer