[R] On the Design of the R Language

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 20:57:31 CEST 2012

On Apr 25, 2012, at 20:19 , Marc Schwartz wrote:

> I have not read it yet, but the acknowledgements at the end of the paper note that:
>
> 1. It was supported by an NSF grant.
>
> 2. At least two members of R Core are recognized amongst the list of names.

Also, most of the overall content is hardly a surprise to R Core (not that I have read it properly either). R as a language has many weaknesses and Luke can certainly attest the difficulties in writing compilers for R due to the fact that semantics can change at any moment (I believe that's what the authors refer to as "extreme dynamism").

Competent critical review by computer scientist should be welcomed, and in my opinion is long overdue. As has been said, the good _and_ the bad thing about R is that it was designed by statisticians...

-pd