[R] Errors Updating Libraries (2.15)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 24 22:26:43 CEST 2012

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012, R. Michael Weylandt wrote:

> For the ones you named, you should be able to install them from source
> pretty easily:
>
> system.time(install.packages(c("plyr","reshape2","stringr"), type = "source"))

Michael,

   Thanks. Since I have all the GNU build tools installed, and build most
applications from source, this is not a problem.

> takes me about 20 seconds. plyr does have some compiled code though so
> you might need tools. The other two are all interpreted code so you
> won't need much.

   What really puzzles me is that each package I request using
'install.packages("...")' returns the same error, including that reshape2 is
missing. I've tried this will ISwR and zoo. There are about a
dozen-and-a-half packages I need to upgrade so understanding why the
recommended apprach isn't working for me would be very helpful.

   I suppose that I can use the above syntax for all of them.

Thanks,

Rich