[R] Selecting columns whose names contain "mutated" except when they also contain "non" or "un"

Paul Miller pjmiller_57 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 18:10:02 CEST 2012

Hello All,

Started out awhile ago trying to select columns in a dataframe whose names contain some variation of the word "mutant" using code like:

names(KRASyn)[grep("muta", names(KRASyn))]

The idea then would be to add together the various columns using code like:

KRASyn$Mutant_comb <- rowSums(KRASyn[grep("muta", names(KRASyn))])

What I discovered though, is that this selects columns like "nonmutated" and "unmutated" as well as columns like "mutated", "mutation", and "mutational".

So I'd like to know how to select columns that have some variation of the word "mutant" without the "non" or the "un". I've been looking around for an example of how to do that but haven't found anything yet.

Can anyone show me how to select the columns I need?

Thanks,

Paul