[R] Solve an ordinary or generalized eigenvalue problem in R

John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Mon Apr 23 17:10:33 CEST 2012

This thread reveals that R has some holes in the solution of some of the linear algebra
problems that may arise. It looks like Jim Ramsay used a quick and dirty approach to the
generalized eigenproblem by using B^(-1) %*% A, which is usually not too successful due to
issues with condition of B and making a symmetric/Hermitian problem unsymmetric.

In short, the problem is stated as follows:

  Find the eigenvalues e and vectors v that satisfy

     A v  =  e B v

  There is a matrix form (I think   A V = B V E is usual, though I tend to work on them
one at a time in my mind.)

The real trouble is that A and B can have different forms e.g., real, complex, Hermitian
and B may or may not be positive definite. I published a code for complex Hermitian case
with posdef (but complex) metric B in 1974 in Computer Physics Communications. Around the
same time there was Linda Kaufman's LZ code (TOMS / ACM 496) and various QZ codes (van
Loan and Smith), see TOMS / ACM 535. There are descendants of these in LAPACK. And I
suspect there are some sparse variants too.

The "nice" place for these would be in the Matrix package, but as a shorter-term solution,
it could be useful to put together a suite for dense matrices. Using existing Fortran
codes would allow this to be done fairly quickly and it could be a nice summer or term
project for a student (Google Summer of Code 2013?). I'll be happy to kibbitz and mentor,
but I'd rather stay on the sidelines of actual package building, as I no longer have a
direct need. My application was the quantum electronic structure of polymers in 1972/3.
However, I think the code is still reasonable.

Best, JN