[R] How to take ID of number > 7.

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Sun Apr 22 15:22:24 CEST 2012

Hello,

Berend Hasselman wrote

> On 22-04-2012, at 13:03, Yellow wrote:
>
>> I figured out something new that I would like to see if I can do this
>> more
>> easy with R then Excel.
>>
>> I have these huge files with data.
>> For example:
>>
>> DataFile.csv
>> ID Name log2
>> 1 Fantasy 5.651
>> 2 New 7.60518
>> 3 Finding 8.9532
>> 4 Looeka -0.248652
>> 5 Vani 0.3548
>>
>> With like header1: ID, header 2: Name, header 3: log2
>>
>> Now I need to get the $ID out who have a &log2 value higher then 7.
>>
>> I know ho to grab the $log2 values with 7+ numbers.
>>
>> Log2HigherSeven = DataFile$log2 [ DataFile$log2 >= 7]
>>
> How about
>
> DataFile[DataFile$log2 >= 7, c("ID","Log2")]
>
> to get a dataframe with two columns ID and log2.
>
> Berend

Or maybe create an index vector into the rows of the data frame.
This would be more flexible, later any columns could be extracted.
The index can be a logical or integer vector.

inx.log <- DataFile$log2 >= 7
inx.int <- which(DataFile$log2 >= 7)

DataFile[inx.one.of.them, needed.cols]

As a side effect, it might also save some memory. Both indexes are
internally integers.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas