[R] working with environments to ensure code quality for long R scripts

Alexander juschitz_alexander at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 19 10:15:07 CEST 2012

Hello, I am working under R2.11 Windows and currently I work on a big R
progjet which executes different R script in a row. Every R script
represents a module. As every module depends of the variables created in the
modules previously executed, I want to be shure, that I don't create or
change a variable in a scriptwithout being aware that this affects the
results in a later executed script. Therefore, I was think to save all
important variables to keep in a seperate "backup" environment. Everytime a
script starts, it loads the variables of the "backup" environment in
.GlobalEnv. At the end of the script, I want to add all new obtained
variables to the "backup" environment (and check automaticaly if any
variables of "backup"environment is going to be overwritten) and clean the
workspace .GlobalEnv to start the next script neat and tidy. What do you
think of this solution? Does anyone have better ideas or experience to
share?

Thank you in advance

Alexander