[R] introducing R to high school students

Wed Apr 18 18:31:28 CEST 2012

I think that mostly avoiding the statistics and matrix capabilities is wise. You might want to (re-)read Burns' article on Spreadsheet Addiction for help in justifying the effort required to learn R.

In that vein, there is a classic experiment where a small ball is rolled down an inclined pane and the time required to roll various distances is measured. One way to investigate fitting this data is to square the time in the spreadsheet. (The other is to use the built-in polynomial regression.) If there is a missing value in the input time, the squared cell will be zero. You can overcome this by manually putting an =NA() in the missing cell, but that is tedious when there is lots of data, and it gets even more tedious when you want to throw out the whole data record while remembering which records were used in the final analysis. R allows this and similar steps to be automated.

I also think running some examples of plots like tiled layouts, colored maps, boxplots, or 3d interactive cloud graphs may provide good brainstorming material for data representation.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing