[R] Effeciently sum 3d table

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon Apr 16 21:26:26 CEST 2012

> Example in partial code:
>
> Env <- CreatEnv() # my own function
> Assign('final',T1-T1,envir=env)
> L<-listOfTables
>
> lapply(L,function(t) {
> 	final <- get('final',envir=env) + t
> 	assign('final',final,envir=env)
> 	NULL
> })

First, finish writing that code so it runs and you can make sure its
output is ok:

L <- lapply(1:50000, function(i) array(i:(i+3), c(2,2))) # list of 50,000 2x2 matrices
env <- new.env()
assign('final', L[[1]] - L[[1]], envir=env)
junk <- lapply(L, function(t) {
     final <- get('final', envir=env) + t
     assign('final', final, envir=env)
     NULL
})
get('final', envir=env)
#            [,1]       [,2]
# [1,] 1250025000 1250125000
# [2,] 1250075000 1250175000
> sum( (2:50001) ) # should be final[2,1]
# [1] 1250075000

You asked for something less "clunky".
You are fighting the system by using get() and assign(), just use
ordinary expression syntax to get and set variables:
final <- L[[1]]
for(i in seq_along(L)[-1]) final <- final + L[[i]]
final
# [1,] 1250025000 1250125000
# [2,] 1250075000 1250175000

The former took 0.22 seconds on my machine, the latter 0.06.

You don't have to compute the whole list of matrices before
doing the sum, just add to the current sum when you have
computed one matrix and then forget about it.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com