[R] loess function take

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Apr 13 15:32:31 CEST 2012

Alternatively, use only a subset to run loess(), either a random sample or something like every other k-th (sorted) data value, or the quantiles.  It's hard for me to imagine that that many data points are going to improve your model much at all (unless you use tiny span).

Andy

From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org] On Behalf Of Uwe Ligges

On 12.04.2012 05:49, arunkumar1111 wrote:
> Hi
>
> The function loess takes very long time if the dataset is very huge
> I have around 1000000 records
> and used only one independent variable. still it takes very long time
>
> Any suggestion to reduce the time

Use another method that is computationally less expensive for that many
observations.

Uwe Ligges