[R] R error message

Harriet Lucy Stubbs H.L.Stubbs at sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 13:38:25 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to do an exploratory factor analysis for a uni assignment
but I keep getting this error message coming up

[1] "One of your variables is a constant. Constants are disallowed as
part of a scale."

when I turn the data into a matrix and look at the stats. I've been
told that this means one of the variables doesn't vary much any more,
but I am really stuck on how to sort this out. The code I have used is

> summary(prefdata)
> prefdata[prefdata>5]=NA
> summary(prefdata)
> prefdata2=as.matrix(prefdata[3:22])
> stats=paf(prefdata2)
[1] "One of your variables is a constant. Constants are disallowed as
part of a scale."

Any help would be greatly appreciated, a few of us are stuck with this
and we're going out of our minds trying to figure out how to fix it!

Thank you so much,

Harriet & the MSc students at Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.