[R] How do I get a rough quick utility plot of a time series?

Hurr hill0093 at umn.edu
Fri Apr 6 20:15:23 CEST 2012

I believe I have made this posting simple enough to understand.
The sample time-series has only 10 times.
SimpleTS() is the R function to contain the call to do the plot.

SimpleTS <- function() {
  titleline <- readLines("SimpleTS.dta", n=1)
  print(titleline)
  dta <- read.table("SimpleTS.dta", skip = 1, header = TRUE, sep = ",",
colClasses = "character")
  print(dta)
  dta <- linearizeTime(dta)
  print(titleline)
  print(dta)
  # plotting call goes here
} #end SimpleTS

A printout in linearizeTime(dta) is this:
[1] "`Simple Time Series"
   Simpl CnYrMoDaHrMn SBP DBP HRT X
1  Simpl 201005251030 117  53  54
2  Simpl 201005271116 108  65  52
3  Simpl 201005281237 107      59
4  Simpl 201005291329          58
5  Simpl 201005301456  97  56  52
6  Simpl 201006011030
7  Simpl 201006021147 108  65  52
8  Simpl 201006041225 107      59
9  Simpl 201006051344      57  58
10 Simpl 201006061417  97  56  52

The printout at the end of SimpleTS() is this:
[1] "`Simple Time Series"
       monoMn SBP DBP HRT
1  1057366710 117  53  54
2  1057369636 108  65  52
3  1057371157 107  NA  59
4  1057372649  NA  NA  58
5  1057374176  97  56  52
6  1057376790  NA  NA  NA
7  1057378307 108  65  52
8  1057381225 107  NA  59
9  1057382744  NA  57  58
10 1057384217  97  56  52

We want a simple 3-tier plot with monoMn on the abscissa
and the three functions SBP DBP HRT plotted as fct of monoMn.
We will want more-beautiful plots later, but can't specify now.