[R] Inputing Excel data into R to make a map

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 02:35:57 CEST 2012

Please provide a sample of the data and the code you have tried. If
"pts" is your data.frame read in from CSV and the long/lats describe
points within the mainland U.S.  then this should show you sensible
points on the map:

require(maps)
map('state')
points(pts$long, pts$lat)

If not, investigate what you should expect with the actual numbers
themselves, add axes to the plot:

axis(1)
axis(2)

Do the values in long and lat make sense for that extent?

No one can tell if you need to "scale" (or transform . . .) the data
without any kind of reference to what they are. You aren't just mixing
up the order of longitude and latitude are you? R's spatial functions
generally use the "x, y" convention to match "long, lat" order.

Also, R-Sig-Geo is a more targeted mailing list for questions like this.

Cheers, Mike.