[R] ncdf - install error

David William Pierce dpierce at ucsd.edu
Sat Sep 24 16:13:10 CEST 2011

2011/9/24 Muhammad Rahiz <muhammad.rahiz at ouce.ox.ac.uk>:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm having issues with the installation of the ncdf package. It returns a
> non-zero exit status. Can anyone suggest what I should do next? FYI, I do
> not have problems installing other packages.
>[...]
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a(attr.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
> against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
> with -fPIC
> /usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [ncdf.so] Error 1
> ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘ncdf’
> * removing ‘/home/rahiz/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/2.13/ncdf’

See that part where it said /usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a needed to be
recompiled with -fPIC? It means that the netcdf library on your
machine, which is located in /usr/local/lib, needs to be recompiled
with the -fPIC flag specified. :)

I suggest consulting the netcdf library documentation for how to do
this, or talk to your system administrator, or ask one of your local
computer experts.

Regards,

--Dave

--
David W. Pierce
Division of Climate, Atmospheric Science, and Physical Oceanography
(858) 534-8276 (voice)  /  (858) 534-8561 (fax)    dpierce at ucsd.edu