[R] open source editor for r for beginners

Jack Siegrist jacksie at eden.rutgers.edu
Tue Sep 20 16:07:13 CEST 2011

Marion Wenty wrote:

> ...Could anyone recommend an editor that is suitable for beginners?...

I had trouble with this for a long time. I tried several different programs,
but couldn't get any to work properly—they were either too complicated or
broken. I recently started using Notepad++ with NppToR. Everything works
fine, and it is easy enough for beginners to use.

Notepad++ is a free editor.

There is a download called NppToR, which runs down in the notification area
of the toolbar in Windows. This will allow you to send code directly to the
R console from the text editor using a keyboard shortcut, and to have your
text color-coded for R.

I would recommend starting with this. If, after a few years, you find
yourself limited by this setup, then you can think about things like emacs.