[R] question about glm vs. loglin()

(Ted Harding) ted.harding at wlandres.net
Sat Sep 17 11:30:42 CEST 2011

On 17-Sep-11 01:20:53, Rolf Turner wrote:
> On 17/09/11 01:19, Michael Friendly wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>> Trying to interpret associations in complex loglinear models
>> from  tables of parameter estimates is like trying to extract
>> sunlight from a cucumber.  You have to squeeze very hard, and
>> then are usually unhappy with the quality of the sunlight.
> <SNIP>
>
> Fortune!!!
>      cheers,
>          Rolf Turner

Seconded!

That reminds me of a riddle once posed by Manfred Gordon (noted
for his contributions to stochastic theories of polymerisation):

  Question:
    How do you unscramble a scrambled egg?

  Answer:
    Feed it to a hen.

Perhaps that could inspire a similar approach to the "sunlight
from cucumber" problem (passing over technological practicalities
such as anaerobic digestion, biogas, and methane-fuelled electricity
generators).

More generally, I think it suggests a possible approach to the
unscrambling of nicely cooked summary statistics handed to you
on a plate ...

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <ted.harding at wlandres.net>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861