[R] Strucchange generating breakpoints

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Thu Sep 15 08:49:02 CEST 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011, R. Michael Weylandt wrote:

> If by gbreakpoints, you simply mean breakpoints (I'm not familiar with the
> package so this is an honest point of ambiguity from me),

It is really gbreakpoints() although it is not quite clear how this was
accessed. gbreakpoints() is an unexported function from the "fxregime"
package which is built on top of "strucchange". The reason is that the
interface may change in the future and there is a function fxregimes()
that is exported.

In any case: There are extractor functions for objects returned by
breakpoints() and fxregime() (and some even gbreakpoints()), most of which
take an optional "breaks" argument, e.g., for looking at the 2-break
solution

## estimated parameters
coef(res, breaks = 2)

## estimated breakpoints on original time scale
breakdates(res, breaks = 2)

## estimated breakpoints in numbers of observations
breakpoints(res, breaks = 2)
breakpoints(res, breaks = 2)$breakpoints

As pointed out in the manual pages, many of these are documented in
Zeileis A., Kleiber C., Kraemer W., Hornik K. (2003), Testing and Dating
of Structural Changes in Practice, _Computational Statistics and Data
Analysis_, *44*, 109-123. doi:10.1016/S0167-9473(03)00030-6.
But since 2003 even more functionality became available. See the examples
sections for illustrations.

hth,