[R] S4 vs Reference Classes

Joseph Park jpark.us at att.net
Wed Sep 14 15:01:14 CEST 2011

   Thanks Martin.
   What i'm hoping to do is have a class object, with a member method
   that can change values of slots in the object, without having to
   assign values by external assignment to the object. Something like this:
   setClass ( "Element",
     representation ( x  = "numeric", y  = "numeric" ),

     prototype = list( x = 0, y = 1 )
   )
   setGeneric( name = "ComputeX",
               def  = function( self ) standardGeneric("ComputeX") )
   setMethod( "ComputeX", signature = "Element",
     function ( self ) {
       if ( self @ y > 0 ) {
         self @ x = pi
       }
     }
   )
   so that a call to the method ComputeX assigns ('internally') a
   value to the slot x of the global object.
   One can do :
   a = new( 'Element' )
   a @ x = 2
   but i would prefer to have a class method do the work without
   having to explicitly call a @ x = 2. Having to do this means that
   i need code in my main processing app that does things on slots
   that normally i would do in a class method.
   As I understand it, Reference Classes provide this. So i'm
   naturally wondering if i should switch my app from S4 to RC.
   Fundamentally, I don't clearly understand S4 and what the difference
   is between creating a SetReplaceMethod vs a SetMethod, since it
   seems that in either case one has to 'externally' assign the slot
   value. My limitation, of course.