[R] Automated generation of combinations

Dimitris Rizopoulos d.rizopoulos at erasmusmc.nl
Mon Sep 12 14:51:45 CEST 2011

one option is the following:

varNames <- c("varA", "varB", "varC", "varD")

f <- function (i) {
     combn(length(varNames), i,
         function (x) paste(varNames[x], collapse = " + "))
}
lapply(seq_along(varNames), f)

However, in case you're interested in performing a linear regression
with these subsets, then have also a look at package leaps
(http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=leaps).

Best,
Dimitris