[R] The elegant way to test if a number is a whole number

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 9 10:41:10 CEST 2011

    > On Sep 8, 2011, at 3:09 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

thank you, Marc!   :-)

Yes, I was *very* sure that  the is.whole() above should be
exactly what it was:

The purpose was really different.
There, the discussion started from the fact that
  as.integer(1) gives FALSE in R
and that some people where making a fuzz about the allegedly
poor design of S and R in that regard.

The purpose of the above  is.whole()
was solely to be a
concise  *alternative* to is.integer(),
-- which even would work with complex numbers, as Marc
mentioned...
and BTW, instead of floor(), trunc(), or ceiling() or even round()
would have been equally valid.  I had chosen floor() because  in
mathematics, it is the most frequently used of those four functions.

Your topic below ... about accidental rounding or not with
floating point arithmetic is an entirely different issue,
*and* I agree that a solution to your problem should be based on
the same calculations as all.equal.numeric() .. and hence will
be considerably more involved if it should "work" in all border
cases.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich