[R] suggestion for proportions

csrabak crabak at acm.org
Thu Sep 8 15:32:06 CEST 2011

Em 8/9/2011 05:24, Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) escreveu:
> I assume you mean Cohen's kappa. This is not what the OP is asking
> about. The OP wants to know how to test for a difference in the
> proportions of 1's. Cohen's kappa will tell you what the level of
> agreement is between the two tests. This is something different.

Indeed it is different.

> Also, the OP has now clarified that the data are paired. Therefore,
> prop.test() and binom.test() are not appropriate. So, to answer the
> OPs question: yes, mcnemar.test() is what you should be using.

While it seems a consensus has been reached in the understanding of OP's
wish, I still not completely sure, as the word "accuracy" has been used
as synonymous of /proportions/ for the two tests.

Also as the description of "2 different diagnostic tests" has been
written by the OP I offer my interpretation that the agreement between
tests is to be considered.

OTOH if the accuracy can be assessed against a golden standard, I would
suggest approaching the problem with confusion matrices.

HTH

--
Cesar Rabak