[R] suggestion for proportions

John Sorkin JSorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Wed Sep 7 13:21:58 CEST 2011

>From you description, you should not used a paired Student's t-test. One uses a paired test when pairs of observations come from the same experimental unit (and thus are correlated). You describe a study where each experimental unit is tested once and where there are two independent groups of experimental units. Look at t.test (i.e. enter ?t.test).

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119
(Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing)

>>> array chip <arrayprofile at yahoo.com> 9/7/2011 4:11 AM >>>
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can suggest how to test the equality of 2 proportions. The caveat here is that the 2 proportions were calculated from the same number of samples using 2 different tests. So essentially we are comparing 2 accuracy rates from same, say 100, samples. I think this is like a paired test, but don't know if really we need to consider the "paired" nature of the data, and if yes then how? Or just use prop.test() to compare 2 proportions?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.



R-help at r-project.org mailing list
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html 
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

Confidentiality Statement:
This email message, including any attachments, is for th...{{dropped:6}}

More information about the R-help mailing list