[R] executing R scripts - viewing results and errors

aelmore aelmore at usgs.gov
Thu Sep 1 17:29:52 CEST 2011

Hi,

For the first time, I am trying to call/run an R script from another
program, passing parameters and results back and forth.  I have been
learning a little programming as I have progressed through the various
projects I have been working on, but I haven't had any formal training and
am now stumped.  Specifically, how do you pass results and errors out of R
so that you can debug?

My R script works fine as a standalone.  My Python script seems clean and
isn't giving me any errors, but the R script isn't running.  R is obviously
not receiving the inputs because the run-time is zero for the R portion of
my model execution.  Since I haven't been able to figure out how to "see"
into R, however, I am unable to figure out where the problem lies.

Can anyone give me a leg up on how you can get at outputs and errors when
you do this sort of batch execution?

If it's of any help, I can send along the Python and R scripts, but since I
don't know that it's really necessary for this sort of question I won't
clutter the thread, up front.

Thanks,
Annie