[R] read.xlsx handle NAs

Johannes Radinger JRadinger at gmx.at
Thu Sep 1 12:41:50 CEST 2011

Hello,

I import a xlsx-table with read.xlx which contains NAs in 4 columns. In the excel table these 4 columns contain floats/integers and the word NA. But when I am importing the NAs are recognized as strings rather than as missing values.

How can I set that if a cell contains the word NA that this is a real missing value? Is there any option (probably colClasses) where I can set it for the import, and how should it look like? Or do I have to treat the imported dataframe, and if yes how?

Thank you
Johannes