[R] Unscribe me please!

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 01:37:38 CEST 2011

Dear Mahesh,

What you have done is the social equivalent of walking into a large
retail store, getting on the store intercom, and saying, so that
thousands of customers can hear you, "Kindly get me out of this
store".  There are two problems with this:

1) It is inconsiderate to bother thousands of bystanders with your
request which is really directed at management
2) It is actually a task you perform yourself---you presumably
subscribed yourself in the first place and when you went through that
process you would have learned how to unsubscribe.  But supposing you
forgot or lost that email, the truly trivial step of searching on
google for: "unsubscribe from R help list" gives tons of pages, the
very first one of which links you to a page with clear, simple, easy,
instructions for how to unsubscribe.  It is not asking for help that
is a problem, it is the implicit, "3 minutes of my time to search and
do it myself is too much to spend, I want someone else to do it for
me".  Indeed, since you use gmail, you would not even have to point
your browser to www.google.com, you would just have to use the built
in search and click the 'search the web' button, but evidently, you
would rather have someone else do that for you and then send you an
email stating as much.

That's where I come in.  I offer a specialized service, and for only
20 USD, I will gladly submit anyone's email to be unsubscribed from
this list, and send you a follow up email to alert you of as much.  If
you are interested in this service, please email me off list and let
me know when you have transferred the funds to my paypal account (same
email address as I am using here).

I look forward to doing business with you,

Josh