[R] lme4 + R 2.11.0 + mac unavailable

ADosmann dosmann1 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:33:23 CEST 2011

I had a similar problem installing lme4 on my mac in R 2.12.1.  The
information on this thread helped me troubleshoot the problem, but I arrived
at a different solution.

When I tried to load lme4 from the source as advised by one author, it
failed and I got an error message regarding the package 'Matrix' (see below
if you're interested).  Before diving in on some of the other suggestions to
deal with the Matrix issue, I simply got the 'Matrix' package I already had
installed going, and then installed lme4 successfully.

>library(Matrix)
>install.packages("lme4")

That did the trick.

Andy

* installing *source* package ‘Matrix’ ...
** libs
*** arch - i386
sh: make: command not found
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘Matrix’
* removing ‘/Users/darwin/Library/R/2.12/library/Matrix’
* installing *source* package ‘lme4’ ...
** libs
*** arch - i386
sh: make: command not found
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘lme4’
* removing ‘/Users/darwin/Library/R/2.12/library/lme4’

The downloaded packages are in

‘/private/var/folders/Ts/TsMLZGaEF3W3JOTfdmIGD++++TU/-Tmp-/RtmpAXhRpJ/downloaded_packages’
Warning messages:
1: In install.packages("lme4", type = "source") :
  installation of package 'Matrix' had non-zero exit status
2: In install.packages("lme4", type = "source") :
  installation of package 'lme4' had non-zero exit status