[R] Syntax Check: rshape2 melt()

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 27 20:48:58 CEST 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) wrote:

> What I think you want is as simple as
> test.melted <- melt(test)

Dan, et al.:

   No, it's not that simple. Unfortunately. I've tried various combinations
of id.vars, measure.vars, and variable, but just cannot get the dates to
display in the melted data frame. For example,

m.tds.anal <-  melt(tds.anal, id.vars = c('site', 'param'), measure.vars =
'sampdate', variable.name = 'variable', na.rm = T, value.name = 'quant')
> head(m.tds.anal)
      site param variable quant
1   UDS-O   TDS sampdate 13488
2  STC-FS  Cond sampdate  9661
3   UDS-O    Mg sampdate 13790
4   UDS-O   SO4 sampdate 13790
5 JCM-10B    Ca sampdate 13685
6 JCM-10B    Cl sampdate 13685

   No matter where I put 'sampdate' it displays as that string rather than as
the date itself.

Rich