[R] Problem Installing a local package in linux

Paul Hiemstra paul.hiemstra at knmi.nl
Thu Oct 27 15:34:03 CEST 2011

Yea Linux! I think you are missing a library file (libgfortran.so.1),
you can use locate to try and find the so file, in bash type:

locate libgfortran

Now three things can happen:
- It doesn't find anything, than you need to install an additional
gfortran package. This is often called libgfortran-dev or something (at
least it is called this way in debian and ubuntu). This installs
development files, including libgfortran.so
- It finds a file called libgfotran.so.something but not .so.1. So you
have the file, but it is not named correctly. Easiest solution is to
create a symbolic link called libgfortran.so.1 to
libgfortran.so.something and loading the library in R
- It finds the correct file. Could be that the file is not in your PATH.
Add the location of the file (the directy that is) to your path.