[R] bestglm function and output in R

Candice candice.lyons at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 17:35:11 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I have been trying to run a bestglm in R for a while now and am struggling
to get it to run. When I thought I had succeeded, the "output" it gave me
was "NULL" and that's it. Below is my code:

bestglmtest<-read.table("C:\\Documents and
Settings\\clyons\\Desktop\\bestglmtest.txt",header=T,row.names=1)
> names(bestglmtest)
[1] "acc"   "age"   "sex"   "ctmin"
> library(bestglm)
> output<-bestglm(bestglmtest,IC="AIC",family=gaussian(link=identity))
Morgan-Tatar search since family is non-gaussian.
> bestglmtest$BestModel$coefficients
NULL

I believ my data is Gaussian so don't get the Morgan-Tatar search
"error/warning" which it threw out. Trying to find info on it was also not
successful but I did manage to find an article with example which also had
the same message and figured out it was not an error message but a warning,
if I can say that. Asking for the best mode coefficients however, did not
provide me with any useful answers.

What I want to do is predict how four factors/parameters (this example is
only three because I was testing the code) influence my response variable. I
have my response variable in the very last column of my text file with
predictors before it. Two of my predictors have two levels and the other two
have three levels. Perhaps this makes a difference to the ditribution type I
select?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am now rightly stuck and have
no idea what else to try.

Many thanks,
Candice