[R] issue loading doBy library

Giovanni Azua bravegag at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 14:10:59 CEST 2011

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your feedback, after lot of trial and error the problem is finally solved.

To solve this problem, I tried in this order:

1) uninstalling the two packages "Matrix" and "lme4" and reinstalling them.
2) uninstalling doBy and reinstalling it with and without 1)
3) upgrading to the latest R version and re-doing 1) 2)

And finally 4) wiped all R traces from my Mac OS X 10.7.2 and re-installed the latest version. The latest Matrix version seems to have changed in the meanwhile so I was lucky and now it works.

It seems to me that the whole concept of dependency analysis for installing packages in R is broken ... seems like the packages depend only on the package name and not on the specific versions which is wrong as in this case, chances are that a user will say in this "live lock" where will never find a "happy together" versions of Matrix and lme4 ... but well, you statisticians know better about chances :P

Thank you again.
Best regards,
Giovanni