[R] rgl device on web

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 00:24:20 CEST 2011

On 11-10-21 3:38 PM, Ben qant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for help putting an interactive rgl package 3d device on the web
> so that it maintains full functionality. Where should I start? Is it
> possible? Is there an example I can see? (Note: I'm also looking at putting
> other normal plots on the web.) I'd like to stay within R as much as
> possible...  I didn't find much online regarding rgl 3d plots.

There are some 3d file formats that allow manipulation similar to what
rgl does, but currently rgl can't write output to any of those formats.
  Last time I looked they were all proprietary, and it wasn't clear
which one would be the winner, so I've never tried coding any of them.

So if you pick one format, you'll need to code (in C++) what's necessary
to write out the rgl scene to such a file.  I'd be happy to include such
code into rgl if you do it, but there's zero chance I'll look into this
again in the next 4-6 months.

Duncan Murdoch