[R] stacked plot

Henri-Paul Indiogine hindiogine at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 07:08:10 CEST 2011

Hi!

I am trying to use ggplot2 to create a stacked bar plot.  Previously I
tried using barplot() but gave up because of problems with the
positioning of the legend and other appearance problems.   I am now
trying to learn ggplot2 and use it for all the plots that I need to
create for my dissertation.

I am able to create normal bar plots using ggplot2, but I am stomped
with the stacked bar plots.

This works:

barplot(t(file.codes), beside = FALSE)

the data.frame file.codes looks like this .....

        code.1 code.2 code.3 code.4 code.5 ....
file.1      2       0         0         5        4      ....
file.2      3       18       1         0        2      ....

I would like each file to be a bar and then each code stacked for each
file.    By transposing the file.codes data.frame barplot() will allow
me to do so.   I am trying to obtain the same result in ggplot2  but i
think that qplot wants the data to be like this:

file.1 code.1  2
file.1 code.2  0
file.1 code.3  0
file.1 code.4  5
file.1 code.5  4
file.2 code.1  3
file.2 code.2  18

I think that I need to use the package "reshape", but I am not sure
whether to use cast(), melt(), or recast() and how to set up the
function.

Thanks,
Henri-Paul

--