[R] help with glmmADMB ZI; function maximizer failed

emmarosenfeld emmarosenfeld at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 17:20:57 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I am having some problems trying to run a GLMM model with zero-inflation
using the alpha version of glmmADMB (0.6.4) using R (2.13.1) in Windows and
I would greatly appreciate some help.
My count response variable (number of birds: count) fits a negative binomial
distribution and the explanatory variables are both continuous and
categorical (species= 17). The three random effects are site (68 of them),
season (1 or 2) and land class (1 to 6). Ideally I would also like to build
in a variance structure to allow a different spread per land class. This is
the model I'm trying to run:
(fm<-glmmadmb(count~species*btrees+species*built+species*btrees*built+(1|season)+(1|landclass)+(1|site),
data=srp12, famil="nbinom", zeroInflation=TRUE))

I have read most of the supporting documents to glmmADMB and studied the
examples but am still struggling to make headway.

This is the error message I get;

Memory allocation error -- Perhaps you are trying to allocate too much
memory in your program
Warning: running command 'C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c
"C:/R-2.13.1/library/glmmADMB/bin/windows32/glmmadmb.exe" -maxfn 500' had
status 1
Warning in shell(cmd, invisible = TRUE) :
  '"C:/R-2.13.1/library/glmmADMB/bin/windows32/glmmadmb.exe" -maxfn 500'
execution failed with error code 1
Error in glmmadmb(count ~ species * btrees + species * built + species *  :
  The function maximizer failed

I noticed the discussion on the admb help forum entitled ‘help with glmmADMB
0.6.4 - function maximizer failed’ with Rafael Mares discusses similar
problems. I have tried some of the suggested solutions, none of which have
been recognised as code in R.

I have also run:

> summary(fm)

Which results in:

Error in summary(fm) : object 'fm' not found

This has happened however the equation is labelled.

Perhaps there is a more appropriate package that I should be using
(MCMCglmm)?
I am quite new to R, so it is quite possible that I am missing something, so
any help would be most appreciated.

Apologies for the long message!

Many thanks,

Emma Rosenfeld
PhD student,
School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences,
University of Birmingham