[R] Subsetting data by eliminating redundant variables

aajit75 aajit75 at yahoo.co.in
Wed Oct 19 12:49:15 CEST 2011

Dear All,

I am new to R, I have one question which might be easy.

I have a large data with more than 250 variable, i am reducing number of
variables by redun function as in the example below,

n <- 100
x1 <- runif(n)
x2 <- runif(n)
x3 <- x1 + x2 + runif(n)/10
x4 <- x1 + x2 + x3 + runif(n)/10
x5 <- factor(sample(c('a','b','c'),n,replace=TRUE))
x6 <- 1*(x5=='a' | x5=='c')
data1 <- cbind(x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6)
data2 <- data.frame(data1)
outredun <- redun(~., data=data2, r2=.8,)
outredun
#outredun1 <- capture.output(redun(~., data=data2, r2=.8,))
#outredun1
#x25 <- outredun1[25]
#mydata12 <- daat1[myvars] #myvars I need to pass to retain variables

which gives me , say for this example  Rendundant variables:x6 x4 x3 and
Predicted from variables: x1 x2 x5 as output in console.

I want to subset my original data with either by keeping 'Predicted from
variables' or by droping 'Rendundant variables'. I have tried using
capture.output function as mentioned above in the commented code but it
gives me a string like "x1 x2 x5 " which need to modify as "x1", "x2", "x3"
as input to subset data.

As my data has more than 250 variables and evry time data and nuber of
variables are changing. How this can be achived?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
-Ajit