[R] problem with quantmod package

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:19:44 CEST 2011

I believe it's because they are not made available for download as a csv file.

Compare:

https://www.google.com/finance/historical?q=NSE:TCS

with

https://www.google.com/finance/historical?q=NASDAQ:AAPL

You'll see that for AAPL, there is an option to export prices on the
right hand side: that's what getSymbol() takes advantage of.

Why it exists I don't know, but it probably has to do with how much
google is willing to pay for licensing to foreign exchanges.

You could perhaps write something to read the price table that google
shows or if you find the data available elsewhere on a csv, I'm sure
the package authors would be willing to add another method for
getSymbols.

Michael