[R] How to read data sequentially into R (line by line)?

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:50:36 CEST 2011

Let's do it in two parts: first create all the separate files (which
if this what you are after, we can stop here).  You can change the
value on readLines to read in as many lines as you want; I set it to 2
just for testing.

x <- textConnection("APE!KKU!684!
APE!VAL!!
APE!UASU!!
APE!PLA!1!
APE!E!10!
APE!TPVA!17122009!
APE!STAP!1!
GG!KK!KK!
APE!KKU!684!
APE!VAL!!
APE!UASU!!
APE!PLA!1!
APE!E!10!
APE!TPVA!17122009!
APE!STAP!1!
GG!KK!KK!
APE!KKU!684!
APE!VAL!!
APE!UASU!!
APE!PLA!1!
APE!E!10!
APE!TPVA!17122009!
APE!STAP!1!
GG!KK!KK!")

fileNo <- 1  # used for file name
buffer <- NULL
repeat{
    input <- readLines(x, n = 100)
    if (length(input) == 0) break  # done
    buffer <- c(buffer, input)
    # find separator
    repeat{
        indx <- which(grepl("^GG!KK!KK!", buffer))[1]
        if (is.na(indx)) break  # not found yet; read more
        writeLines(buffer[1:(indx - 1L)]
            , sprintf("newFile%04d", fileNo)
            )
        buffer <- buffer[-c(1:indx)]  # remove data
        fileNo <- fileNo + 1
    }
}

Jim Holtman