[R] contouring x y scatter data

emorway emorway at usgs.gov
Mon Oct 17 23:59:49 CEST 2011

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the response.  The plot you suggested was not in line with what
I'm trying to produce in R.  The last plot found at:

http://www.advsofteng.com/gallery_contour.html

is more along the lines of what I'm looking for.  Notice the scatter points
(shown by "x") are not laid out in a regular/gridded fashion, yet the
plotting software was still able to use some kind of interpolation and plot
contours.  All the contouring options I'm finding in R require the spatial
locations of data points to be in a 'regular' grid.  That is, data in each
row must have the same y coordinate and data in each column must have the
same x coordinate.  I'm seeking flexibility in the location of the points on
which the contours are based.