[R] Multiple levelplot with title

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 17:37:13 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Richard O. Legendi
<richard.legendi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to R and to the mailing list, so please bear with me :-)
>
> I would like to create multiple levelplots on the same chart with a nice
> main title with something like this:
>
>  print(levelplot(matrix(c(1,2,3,4), 2, 2)), split=c(1, 1, 2, 1))
>  print(levelplot(matrix(c(1,2,3,4), 2, 2)), split=c(2, 1, 2, 1),
>        newpage=FALSE)
>
> I found a trick:
>
>  mtext("Test", outer = TRUE, cex = 1.5)
>
> here:
>
>  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-July/168163.html
>
> but it doesn't works for me.
>
> Could anyone please show me some pointers what should I read in order to get
> an insight why this isn't working as I expect?

That part's easy: lattice is drawing using grid graphics, and mtext is
drawing using "traditional" graphics, and the two don't (easily) mix.

You will need to delve into grid a little bit for what you want. Do
you have a good reason to have separate levelplots? One of the main
points of lattice is to avoid such things.

-Deepayan