[R] nls: singular convergeance

Redding, Matthew Matthew.Redding at deedi.qld.gov.au
Fri Oct 14 03:51:57 CEST 2011

Hi Rolf and others,

Once again, I think a misunderstanding. My inexperience has led me to
use the
term "broken stick" where "non-linear segments" might be more
appropriate.

This is all experimental data (t and seg_an), and yes I am fitting a
model to this data (see the "crv" function in
my example).

Fitting three linear segments to the data won't provide the parameter
estimates required.
The functions suiting this data are theoretically non-linear.  However,
I guess I have learned
that ultimately I needed
to collect measurements for longer until the non-linearity of
each segment becomes more obvious.

So I guess no amount of tweaking nls will help!

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Matt Redding

We're behind the Bid!
GOLD COAST 2018 - XXI COMMONWEALTH GAMES CANDIDATE CITY
www.goldcoast2018bid.com