[R] plot methods for summary of rms objects

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Oct 11 23:47:21 CEST 2011

On Oct 11, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Rob James wrote:

> The integration of plot methods for various outputs from rms
> packages is a great appreciated aspect of the rms package.
>
> I particularly like to use:
>
> plot(summary(model))
>
> for my own purposes, but... for publication/presentation I need to
> modify details like variable names, or the number of signficant
> digits used in the figure annotations.
>
> Is there a simple way to modify the plot inputs arising from
> summary, or is it necessary to hack the summary object?

If you type:

methods(summary)

... you should see why it might be very difficult to answer your
question in its current state of vagueness. I just ran the example in
help(summary.rms) and it appears that it used base graphics and that
if such output is your target, you would need to either hack the code
or hack the pdf file. Much of the graphical output from rms functions
has been ported to lattice graphics, but apparently not the version
for summary.rms objects.

If you have the data and can redo the analysis, read on. The
comparison levels used by summary.rms are set with datadist and that
is probably what you should be spending some time understanding, There
are other possibilities than just using a datadist(data_object) call.

?datadist

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT