[R] ANOVA/ANCOVA Repeated Measure Mixed Model

Nick GH ghv202 at nyu.edu
Fri Oct 7 16:15:35 CEST 2011

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response, I don't completely follow. I also should have
split this into two questions.

Regarding my first question:

Daniel Malter wrote:

> You are modeling Condition * Stimulus * Group as fully interacted fixed
> effects... A simple random effect for the individual might suffice.

>From what I understand, you are suggesting that I am unnecessarily
complicating my statistics by including factors that are not necessarily
considered "treatment" levels. This would be correct, as I am mainly
interested in the effect of Group (the order of the two conditions).

You could try to model this with lmer (in the lme4 library) and inspect
whether such a complex error structure actually adds anything to your model.

I have figured out how to download the lme4 library, but I am not clear how
I would implement or interpret the results using "lmer"

Second ANCOVA question

it may not make much sense to include one in the regression of the other if
if there is reason to believe that the one measured first does not affect
the one measured second.

Given that I am interested in how the order of Alert and Passive effect
stimulus responses, it seems like this would not be a prudent analysis.
However, there seems to be no effect of order in the passive case but an
effect of order in the alert case. So it might be a good option?

 It is therefore advisable that you talk to your local statistician, if any.

Unfortunately, I don't have that option.

Thanks again for your help,
Nick GH