[R] read .csv from web from password protected site

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 22:06:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've assumed that you meant to send this to the R-help list, and not just me.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Mike Pfeiff <MikeP at kfoc.net> wrote:
> Sarah,  Thanks for the suggestion.  Although, read.table("http://userid:password@my.url/file.csv") did not work as it returned the following:
>
>        Error in file(file, "rt") : cannot open the connection
>        In addition: Warning message:
>        In file(file, "rt") : unable to resolve 'userid'
>
> (where 'usesid is my actual userid)
>
> I've tried the following RCurl commands...
>
>        myURL   ="http://www.frontierweather.com/degreedays/L15N15PowerRegionAverages_10weeks.txt"
>        h=getURL(myURL, userpw = "userid:passwod", followlocation=TRUE)
>        test=read.table(h,header=TRUE,sep=",")
>
> ..and I can't get the data to read and get the following errors:
>
>        Error in file(file, "rt") : cannot open the connection
>        In addition: Warning message:
>        In file(file, "rt") : unable to resolve 'userid'
>
> I'm at a total loss.  Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

You can get to the file using your web browser and that
userid/password combo, right?

Do you have to go through a dialog box? Press a button to login? Any
of those have the potential to
complicate the task.

If so, you'll need to work through the Forms section at
http://www.omegahat.org/RCurl/philosophy.html

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee